Monday, July 2, 2012

New Year's Resolution Revisited

You may remember that my New Year's Resolution was to stay healthy for an entire year and get fit.  Well since it has been six month's since the resolution, I thought I would share my progress but give a little back story on my weight and health.  

My weight has always fluctuated.  I have been a size 2 but I have also been a size 16.  I hit my heaviest weight in 2010.  

Not pretty.

I have always been a stress eater and when I diagnosed with a mass in my lung (read more details here), I ate and ate and ate some more.  I became the biggest I have ever been and I knew it but didn't know how to fix it.

After my lung surgery, I rejoined Weight Watchers (I had been on it before).  Weight Watchers worked for me in the past and I knew that I could lose the weight.  I have always been an online member so that I could track the food I ate on my phone via the Weight Watcher app.  

I lost weight and stuck to my plan from September to May.  I got down to my lowest weight since I had known J.


Unfortunately, this was my lowest weight for 2011.  I had done so well with my eating that when summer happened I started exercising less and not eating right.  The next thing I know I had gained 10 -15 pounds.  Then the big weight gain started happening.  

When J found out that he got the job in Dallas, I started packing and eating a lot because I was stressed about the move.  From May 2011 to January 2012, I gained 33 pounds.  Ouch!


After wearing the above look for New Year's Eve, I started Weight Watchers again and knew I had to stay with it.  

I started working out slowly - walking some and doing some exercise videos.  At the end of February, I started walking long distances and my love of my walking continued.  I entered my first 5K and my goal was to finish and do it around 15 minute miles.  I finished in 41:38 instead of 46:30.  Since my first 5K, I have completed another 5K and two 10Ks.  I have two 10Ks this week, a 15K in a few weeks and have even registered for a half marathon!  I never thought I would be able to do these sort of races but I put my mind to it and finally am achieving them.  I have stopped drinking soda and have stayed eating healthy.  My goal was to lose 38 pounds but once I got down to that size, I knew I wanted to lose another 5.  

As of yesterday, I reached my goal!  I am down 43.4 pounds and am in sixes and eights where before I was in sixteens.  


I am so happy that I am sticking to my resolution.  It was not about losing weight (although I am glad I did) but it was more about becoming healthy.  I have been healthy for six months straight and I know that I can finish this year being healthy.  It isn't a diet it is a life style change. 

How are you doing with your New Year's Resolution?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...